Here are some little known, very interesting facts
1. Beaumont to El Paso : 742 miles
2. Beaumont to Chicago : 770 miles
3. El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas
4. World's first rodeo was in Pecos , July 4, 1883.
5. The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America
built over water.
6. The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the
first full-time coach for
Rice University in Houston ..
7. Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in
North America ..
8. Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America ' s only
remaining flock of whooping
9. Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.
10. The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a
hurricane in which over
8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island ..
11. The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was " Houston
12. King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island .
13. Tropical Storm Claudette brought a US rainfall record of 43" in 24
hours in and around Alvin in
14. Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, (known as
Constitution of 1845 by
Republic of Texas to enter the union) instead of by annexation. This
allows the Texas flag to fly at
the same height as the US flag, and may divide into 5 States.
15. A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.
16. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
17. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr
in Dr Pepper.
18. Texas has had six capital cities:
18.5. West Columbia
19. The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S which is
taller than the Capitol Building in
Washington DC (by 7 feet).
20. The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "t e jas" meaning
friends. Tejas is not
Spanish for Texas .
21. The State animal is the Armadillo. (An interesting bit of trivia
about the armadillo is they
always have four babies! They have one egg, which splits into four, and
they either have four males
or four females. Well, I thought it was interesting anyway!)
22. The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston ..
23. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - TEXAS STYLE People here in Texas have trouble
with all those
"shalls" and "shall nots" in the ten Commandments. Folks here just
aren't used to talking in those
terms. So, some folks out in west Texas got together and translated the
"King James" into "King
Ten Commandments, Cowboy Style.
Cowboy's Ten Commandments posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in
Fairlie , Texas :
(1) Just one God.
(2) Honor yer Ma & Pa.
(3) No telling tales or gossipin'.
(4) Git yourself to Sunday meeting.
(5) Put nothin' before God.
(6) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal.
(7) No killin'.
(8) Watch yer mouth.
(9) Don't take what ain't yers.
(10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff
Now that's kinda plain an' simple don't ya think?
Y'all have a good Day.
Ye hear now?
"THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU"
I shre hope that uns injoys all tht
you sees hears.
Sitemap for many great pages.
New Johnny Cash music sitemap.
New The music of Roy Orbison
NEW The Music Of Elvis
New Music of Ray Stevens
Please feel free to share
our pages with your friends.
Carolyn and I (Billyjoe Bob) Share lots of
but why not? We are as one aren't we?
We share the same Guestbook and Mail list.
If you are on the mail list for Carolyn's Place
But if not then
to join our lists
then you will get the news letters from here also.
I use this hosting company
If you buy hosting here it is great
but you need to tell them you came from this site
and let me know please.... Carolyn and Billyjoe Bob